The W.K. Kellogg Conference Center and Manor House are part of the W.K. Kellogg Biological Station (KBS). KBS is Michigan State University’s largest off-campus education complex and one of North America’s premier inland field stations. KBS comprises more than 3,200 acres, featuring a historic estate, and conference facilities, aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems as well as on-site laboratories:
- The W.K. Kellogg Manor House & Estate is the former summer residence of breakfast cereal pioneer W.K. Kellogg. Located on beautiful Gull Lake, the Manor House is recognized as the ‘historic heart’ of KBS.
- The Conference Center offers year-round lodging and dining to students, visiting scientists and the general public.
- The W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary was established in 1927 and is a refuge for Canada Geese and other resident and migratory birds.
- The W.K. Kellogg Farm focuses on supporting research that improves crop and animal management for the benefit of the producer, surrounding community, and the environment.
Other research facilities include:
- The pond labs which allow the study of aquatic systems in a closed environment.
- The nation’s only Long-Term Ecological Research (LTER) site to focus solely on sustainable agriculture.
- The Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC) which investigates the sustainability of cellulosic biofuels.
- Lux Arbor Reserve, a pristine natural environment supporting many diverse research projects.