Explore the W.K. Kellogg Manor House & Estate Grounds by clicking on the red markers to learn about individual areas of the estate. Champion Trees are indicated with teal markers.
Legend (in alphabetical order)
- Features comfortable meeting space in a large (2130 Sq Ft) auditorium seating up to 120 paticipants, and the Terrace Room with seating for up to 50. The auditorium can be partitioned and is capable of streaming live video conferencing.
- Located in the Orchard Dorm Suites, contains a pool table, lounge area, full size refrigerator, and TV for all guests of KBS to enjoy.
A two-story half-timbered structure with two boat wells, which could accommodate 26-foot power boats. The second floor served as a bath house with facilities to accommodate 10-12 people. Today it is used as a research facilty for visiting summer researchers.
- Cabin A: Offers bunkhouse style lodging for students and guests. It has a living room with pull out sofa sleeper, full size refrigerator, bedroom with 6 twin beds, and a large bathroom.
- Cabin B: Offers bunkhouse style lodging for students and guests consisting of two bedrooms that can sleep a total of 16 bunkbeds, and a large bathroom.
- Cabin C: Offers bunkhouse style lodging for students and guests. It also features a living room with a pull out sofa sleeper,full size refrigerator, bedroom that sleeps 20 in bunk beds, and a large bathroom.
- Located near the secondary entrance gate to the main grounds, this 15th century style Tudor house provided housing for the main employee of the premises. Cement plaster exterior and brick trimmings has the picturesque quality initially experienced at the manor house.
- Today it is beautifully restored and is used to lodge overnight guests.
- A U-shaped structure with a center courtyard. Initially planned to be a stable for livestock, but became the garage for seven cars. Second story contained rooms for visiting chauffeurs and other domestic staff.
- Today the Carriage House provides offices for KBS Outreach and other professionals at KBS as well as private classrooms and conference meeting space.
- Visiting researchers dock their boats for loading and unloading. This is not a public use site.
Fire Pits (North and South)
- North Fire Pit offers recreational time for our guests. Firewood and buckets for extinguishing fire are included. Firepit closes at 11:00 p.m. daily.
- An essential feature of a gentlemen’s home. Housed magnificent roses, a grape arbor, citrus fruits and plants for the estate gardens. Provided fresh flowers that graced the manor house tables daily. Today it is a research faciltiy for KBS students and faculty.
- The chauffeur’s home. A modest Tudor wing to the west originally featuring oak, beech and tile flooring; three bedrooms; a fireplace; and French doors leading to a porch. Today the cottage is rented out to visiting scientists and other guests.
- The rose garden was symmetrical in plan and featured a bronze water bearer, an astrolobe and a sundial. At the edge of the former garden is a classically inspired stone balustrade leading to the stairway to the lake. Today the space is known as the “Reflection Pool Garden” and is used by our guests to relax and entertain.
- Tudor Revival style mansion built in 1925-1926. Constructed of a combination of wood and steel framing, reinforced concrete and hollow load-bearing tile. Other characteristics are half-timbering, ribbon casement windows, Tudor detailing, bargeboards, and high-pitched (gabled) roofs.
- There are 26 rooms, 2 sun porches, full basement and attic.
- The home was furnished with Persian rugs, paintings and French tapestries.
- The “cottage” was the Kellogg’s summer home for 15 years.
- Fully restored to its original grandeur with a grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation the house is open for tours and rented for private celebrations.
McCrary Dining Hall
- Dining hall with deck overlooking Gull Lake
Orchard Dorm Suites
- Because of WK’s age, he wanted mature trees planted that would bear fruit during his lifetime. In March 1926, cherry and apple trees were planted and when they no longer produced fruit, the trees were replaced with the dorms. The dorms now occupy the orginal location for those trees.
- The orchard dorms are used for short term student and guest lodging. 12 suites sleep 48 in total. Each suite consists of two rooms with two twin beds and a shared bathroom in between. Each side has its own sink, mini refrigerator, and TV.
Stylistically, its half-timbering (north and south facades) and dogtooth-variant balustrade design recall the decorative treatment of the manor house. In the summer, it was a place to hear music transmitted from the manor house via loudspeakers, feel the lake breezes or dock a small boat.Today guests enjoy sitting and relaxing while taking in the beautiful sunsets.
Pergola Perennial Garden
- A flagstone walk provides the entrance to another symmetrically arranged garden complete with sundial, urns, perennial plantings, rose arbors and brick walls. Still beautifully maintained, today this site is a popular ceremony venue.
Plant Succession Trail
- Self-guided trail that educates on the sucession of a disturbed forest. Open to the public year round.
Recreation / Lakeside Lawn
- Site used by KBS students, staff and guests for recreational activities including soccer. This site is a popular venue for tented receptions.
- Located in front of the Manor House, this garden features shade loving perennials.
Sherriff Hall Apartments
- Apartments used for students and visitor lodging.
- Regular Apartments consist of living room, bedroom with two twin beds, kitchen, and bathroom.
- Efficiencies consist of two twin beds, kitchen, and bathroom.
- 14 total apartments in Sherriff Hall
Shoreline Management Demonstration Area
- This shoreline demo area features alternatives to “turf to water’s edge” lakescape approaches by looking at more natural alternatives to shoreline management techniques.
- Classrooms and offices used for visiting summer students.
Vanderploeg Hall Apartments
- Situated between Sheriff and McCrary Halls, these apartments are used for students and visitor lodging.
- Regular apartments consist of living room with pull out sofa sleeper, bedroom with two twin beds, kitchen, and bathroom.
- Efficiencies consist of two twin beds, kitchen, and bathroom.
- Vanderploeg Hall has 16 apartments and is connected to Sherriff and McCary Hall via a lake front walkway
- Resides on the recreational lakeside lawn this site is used by students and conference guests.
- The tower is 120ft tall and was constructed in 1984. It holds 50,000 gallons of water for supplying the Education Center campus
- An authentic 1817 Dutch windmill shipped from the Netherlands. Originally, it was thatched, had white and brightly colored latticework covered in part with canvas sails, and actually pumped water through the lagoon via an Archimedean screw.
- A part of our historical tour, today guests enjoy visiting the small island.